GENERAL CONFERENCE COMMITTEE
June 6, 1991
Colombian Union Mission Survey Commission – Report 91-3
Luis Florez gave the historical background on the growth of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Colonbia. Frank C Kelley and his wife lived in Bogota as self-supporting missionaries from 1915-1918 where they taught English and worked in photography while sharing the message. However, 1921 is the year when the message officially came to Colombia with the visit of E Max Trunaer. At that time Trummer was president of the West Caribbean Conference and Colombia was part of this conference. He cane to Bogota for the first public meetings which cultivated the interest created by the colporteurs Gilberto Schewerin. Harold C Brown, George A Kneeland, and L V Cleaves. Early in 1923 the first converts. Francisco Hernandez and Eugenio and Carlos Plata were baptized. Later that year Pastor Trimmer organized the first church in Bogota. There was also interest in Cartagena as a result of a box filled with books sent to the harbor which later resulted in the baptism of Antonio Redondo, a Presbyterian pastor. The second church was organized in 1924 in the city of Barranquilla.
In 1925 as the work grew, Colombia was divided into four missions:
Atlantic with headquarters in Barranquilla
Antioquia with headquarters in Hedellin
Central with headquarters in Bogota
Pacific with headquarters in Call
It took several years to provide leadership for each mission. This territorial arrangement lasted until January 17, 1942 when the Colombian territory was organized into three fields: Upper Magdalena, Pacific, and Atlantic.
In 1927, by action of the Inter-American Division Committee meeting in the city of Balboa, Panama Canal Zone, the Colombia- Venezuela Union Mission was organized. The first meeting of the Colombia-Venezuela Union Mission Committee took place on August 15. 1929 in Cali, Colombia where the headquarters of the union mission was located until February 23, 1930. It was then moved to Medellin, Colombia. Henry E Baasch was the president and J B Ross served as secretary-treasurer.
TRUMMER — Ernest Max Trummer was born in Germany Feb. 2, 1875; and died Oct. 20, 1960, at La Sierra, Calif. While working on a farm in Nebraska, he learned the message from a Seventh-day Adventist family and gladly accepted it. He attended Union College and was called to the South American Union to organize the colporteur work. In Buenos Aires he met Norma Fontana who later became his wife while both were attending Washington Missionary College. He became president of what was then known as the West Caribbean Conference and then was called to Colombia to open the work in that field. Elder and Mrs. Trummer had the pleasure of seeing the work grow under the blessing of God, in spite of opposition and hardship, and at the end of their 22 years of service the believers in Colombia numbered over 2,000. Shortly after his retirement in 1942 they moved to National City, Calif., where he worked for 12 years in the Paradise Valley Sanitarium. Early in 1957 they moved to La Sierra. His deepest longing was that the gospel might be quickly preached in all the world that the Lord’s return might be no longer delayed. He leaves his wife; a daughter, Mrs. M. D. Hannah; a son, Commander Max J. Trummer; 3 grandsons; a brother, Bruno; and a sister, Milda Suss.
Pacific Union Recorder, December 5, 1960, Vol. 60, No. 20
TRUMMER—Noema F. Trummer died Apr. 6, 1971, in Loma Linda, Calif., at the age of 70. Survivors: son. Max J. Trummer, M.D.; daughter, Sarita Hannah; 3 grandsons and 2 great-grandsons; and 2 sisters, Sara Fontana and Eva De Calfrascoli.
Pacific Union Recorder, June 21, 1971
Review and Herald, June 3, 1971
TRUMMER, Maria Noema Fontana—
b. May 10, 1889, Nueva Palmira, Uruguay;
d. April 6, 1971, La Sierra, Calif.
Maria’s mother was one of the first persons to accept the third angel’s message in Uruguay. While working as a translator in the Buenos Aires offices of La Revista Adventista she met E. Max Trummer, who at 17 had emigrated from Germany to the United States, learned of the Advent message as a farm boy in Nebraska, earned his way at Union College as a colporteur, and was now leading out in the literature work in Argentina. In 1913 Maria accompanied the pioneer missionary Westphal family to the United States and enrolled in Washington Missionary College. In 1914 she and Max Trummer were married. The young couple was under mission appointment to South America, but with World War 1 curtailing the activities of German citizens, Max Trummer decided to remain in this country until he obtained his U.S. citizenship. During the next five years, they completed their college education, and were graduated from W.M.C. in 1919. After spending nearly three years in Panama, the Trummers moved in 1922 to Colombia, where they labored for the next 20 years, pioneering the work in Bogota, Medellin, and Bucaramanga. They returned to the States in 1942, lived 14 years in National City, moving to La Sierra, California, in 1957 where Mrs. Trummer taught Spanish at the college for three years. Survivors are a daughter, Mrs. M. Dale Hannah; a
son, Dr. Max J. Timnmcr; and two sisters, Sara H. Fontana and Eva F. dc Galfrascoli.